Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Paula Shene of IAN Interviews John Reeves

John is one of my longest held friends from BookRix and I've enjoyed his stories from the start, and watched his growth in whipping his stories into publisher ready copies.



What inspired you to write?

I was inspired to write after reading the novel Christine by Stephen King. The storytelling was incredible. He took fiction and reality and meshed them together perfectly.



Do you have anyone you show manuscripts to and get advice from or are you a loner doing it all yourself?

I have friends, and I think everyone in this business should make at least one close friend, to talk things over with. You truly can't do it alone.



What genre do you normally write in? Also, is there a genre you've always wanted to write in, but don't feel you could pull it off?

I usually write horror or splatterpunk. There is no other genre I'd rather write in, but I have experimented in other genres such as...Romance and Westerns. I'm currently working on a sci-fi novella, and that has been tough at times.



Do you ever base your characters on people you know?

I have created characters from people I know. Sometimes they evolve into someone they weren't meant to be. I think the most believable characters come from our study of real subjects.



What advice would you give to someone who was just starting off in writing?

Read and read some more. I think reading is the most crucial aspect of writing well.



Do your stories tend to have morals, or special messages, included within them?

There is usually something you can take from my stories. There are lessons to be learned from them, but like most horror stories, their message is bleak and grim.




This question was posed by a fellow author, and I loved it so much I decided to throw it into the mix ~

Oh no! One of your characters has escaped. Luckily, I have caught them! I will interrogate them with the help of a lie detector.

Welcome!Take a seat, make yourself comfortable. You will be returning to your book once this is over. What's your name, where are you from and what is your role in the book?

I'm Brian Cordero from Teen Spirit.

My parents always gave me what I needed, and in most cases what I wanted too. It was my own demons, jealousy, and fears that created a real problem for me. My parents trusted me while they went out of town. I had been telling them for a long time that the trust was warranted. In the end, the deviant part of my inner-consciousness took over and ruined my life. My deceased grandfather's voice spoke to me from within, although I had no idea where it came from at the time. I thought grandpa was inside the walls of my bedroom. Somewhere along the way a level of rage consumed me, and it was then that I found two victims who'd be tortured for my own satisfaction.


Tell us why we would enjoy reading your books?

The reason one person would read my stories would vary from the next. I think my stories remind you that whatever you're dealing with...It could certainly be worse. I'd like to think you learn a lot about people by reading my work.


Links for books and/or sites:

http://www.amazon.com/John-Reeves/e/B0051JURJO/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

http://bookrite.blogspot.com/

https://twitter.com/#!/War34Eagle


https://www.facebook.com/pages/John-Reeves/307335199322905



Thanks Paula, I enjoyed answering those questions.

Thank you, John, for coming and be sure to keep us updated on your new releases

No comments:

Post a Comment