Saturday, March 8, 2014

Do You Listen to Music When You Write?




Music to Write By 








I find inspiration from music and find myself hammering away on the keyboard to the beat of some awesome tunes. I'm going to share some of the music I write to here in this post. 


I'm currently working on a story that I've attempted to write several times. It hasn't worked before, but this time it's somewhat working. Most of my stories have a realistic feel to them. This one is a little different as it has elements of science fiction involved with it. The story has been a challenge to write, however I've found better results this time around. Here's some of the music that I've jammed to while writing what could be my first full length novel. 


Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven




 This is a song that my parents introduced me to years ago. It's an awesome song that has one of the best guitar solos of all time at about the 6:20 mark in the video. I absolutely love this song. 



All Along the Watchtower - Dave Matthews Band


This is a Bob Dylan song made famous by Jimmi Hendrix, but it's this version by Dave Matthews that I draw inspiration from. It's not much like the original song. I do listen to the Hendrix version too, and also another one by the Nashville Teens.


Nashville Teens



Simple Man - Shinedown



 
This is a great song originally recorded by Lynyrd Skynyrd, but it's this version by Shinedown that I listen to while writing. It's a powerful song that keeps my hands moving.





 


Fine Again - Seether

 


This is a song I was first introduced to from Madden football 2009. It played on the menu music and I grew fond of the tune. It became one of my favorite songs. Definitely my favorite Seether song. 


If You Could Only See - Tonic

 
This is a song that I had heard many times before. It came on the radio one day and I realized that I liked it more than I remembered. It's now in my writing playlist.


 

Take Me Home Tonight - Hinder


This is an Eddie Money song that I've always liked. This version by Hinder is far better than the original. It's more powerful both instrumentally and vocally. It's better than the original in my opinion. 



Carnival - Natalie Merchant





When I first heard this song I was a teenager in the mid 90's. It's a beautiful song that has a creepy feel to it. The song is creative and gets all the creative juices flowing. It really works for me and it might work for you as well. 



Scott D Davis


I recently found this guys music on You Tube. He does Guns-N-Roses and Metallica music on the piano. He's incredibly good and I love the instrumental songs.






These are some of the songs I write with. It's not all of them, but there are so many that posting them is would be tough. The playlists are huge and growing by the day. These are some that I consider to be the best. Writing is not always easy and sometimes you need a little something to get you going. These are the songs that do it for me. Everyone has the music for them, but if you don't perhaps some of these will help you get it going.

1 comment: